Botox Injection Benefits Explained By Forest Hills, Queens Dr.
Botox is the commonest non-surgical cosmetic procedure in the world today and it is commonly referred to as anti-aging. Botox is one of the commonest brands of botulinum toxin injections. Botulinum toxin is one of the neurotoxins responsible for muscle weakening. Botox injections are well known for their ability to reduce facial wrinkles’ appearance to the barest minimum. You might be given a botulinum toxin injection for cosmetics or medical purposes (1). You must know that Botox will not stop you from expressing your normal facial expressions as this is one of the popular misconceptions but it helps to prevent unintended frowns and facial grimaces (2). In this article an award winning local Botox injections Doctor in Forest Hills, Queens will explain to us literally everything we need to know about Botox in 2022,
What is Botox injection made of?
The neurotoxin in Botox injection consists of a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum. The type of bacteria known as type A is used in health care. Botulinum toxins are seen naturally in contaminated food and the soil. You can develop the botulinum toxin infection if you consume a large amount of it in your food or if you get it via infection in your wound. For safety purposes, the Botox injection is produced in the laboratory where the toxin is being sterilized and diluted. (1)
Is Botox injection safe?
You might be worried about the safety of Botox injection, especially considering the ingredient it is made of. Yes, Botox injection is very safe when it is administered carefully.
What can Botox injection treat?
- It is a common cosmetic procedure used in the removal and reduction of facial wrinkles and fine lines.
- It helps in the removal of laugh lines from the face.
- It helps in the relaxation of muscles of the face.
- It helps in the reduction or removal of the thick lines around the neck commonly known as neck bands.
- It helps to reduce too much gum exposure in a broad smile.
- It helps to beautify the lips.
- It helps to rejuvenate the skin.
- It helps to elevate the angles of the mouth.
- It is worthy of note that there are other medical reasons for the use of Botox injection which include the following: Cervical dystonia, Migraine(Botox injection can be given to help reduce the frequency of migraine headaches), Lazy eye, Excessive sweating, Bladder dysfunction, Muscle contractures.
Who should not receive a Botox injection?
- If you are actively breastfeeding.
- If you are pregnant.
- If you have a skin infection, it is advisable you treat such first before a Botox injection.
- If you are currently being managed for any neuromuscular diseases.
Preparation for the procedure:
After consenting to the procedure, you also need to state if you’ve had a Botox infection for the past six months and also if you are on any blood products or blood thinners. You need to stop them to prevent bleeding. Alcohol can also cause you to have redness and bruising after the procedure. So, make sure you stop drinking twenty-four to forty-eight hours before the procedure (1). The dose you will be given, the injection site, number of times you will take the injection will be determined by how fast you respond to the treatment and the condition you are taking the injection for (4). Make sure you are having the procedure in a qualified and safe environment and to be safer, a licensed esthetician in the spa.
How is the Botox procedure done?
You will be placed on an examination table and in a raised position. The site to be injected will be disinfected using a cleanser that can be nonalcoholic. You can also be given local anesthesia such as lidocaine or EMLA cream, around the site to be injected to help you numb the place and reduce the pain from the injection. The Botox will then be injected around the site which is usually four to five areas around the site which is usually the forehead or on both sides of the eye. It will be administered according to the doses needed to prevent overdose. If there is bleeding from any area during the injection, pressure will be applied to stop such bleeding (2). Here are a few things you should take note of regarding the procedure:
- It is a single-day procedure.
- It is a short procedure and takes about fifteen to thirty minutes to complete.
- There is lesser or no discomfort from the procedure. You may feel uncomfortable from the sting of the injection but within a short time, you will be done with the procedure.
After the procedure
You will be placed on observation in a semi-upright position after the procedure. There are no specific laws guiding after the procedure although you may be advised to avoid too much stress on the affected site after the procedure (2). You can go back to your daily activities after the procedure. Avoid rubbing or massaging the injected sites for twelve to 24 hours to avoid the spread of the toxins to other areas (3).
When should you expect the result after the procedure?
The result from the procedure will usually manifest within three to ten days after the procedure. Your therapist will compare the result to the photograph you took before the procedure. It is a good thing you understand that Botox injection will not automatically erase or remove all wrinkle lines but it will lessen their appearances which means that the superficial ones will almost be disappearing while the deep or thick ones will become less deep. For deeper wrinkles, you may need to undergo two to three Botox procedures before you see the optimal result. (2)
What are the side effects of Botox injections?
Although the risk of Botox injection is very minimal the possible side effects include:
- Drooping eyelids
- Excessive tearing
- Dryness of the eyes
- Flu-like symptoms
In some instances, people develop allergic reactions to Botox injection which manifest as itching, swelling around the entire face, severe cold, and sores. On rare occasions, you may experience difficulty in breathing, rashes, difficulty swallowing, numbness in an unaffected area, and blurred vision (1).
Contributed by: Dr V’s Queens Botox, IV Therapy, Acne Scars, Emsculpt & Hydrafacial Med-Spa 106-15 Queens Boulevard #B15 Forest Hills, NY 11375 (917) 789-6963